Skip to main content

This is Killing ME! Are you KIDDING me???

Friday morning I woke up feeling well rested and healthy. I sat on my step in the early morning dark putting on my socks and shoes. I watched an airplane through the trees and looked over to where Grandpa was sitting on the kitchen stoop. I love this family. I grab my runpod and walk past grandpa saying, "Pagi." He responds with a smile and the same.

I walked to the beach setting my runpod for 4km. This is Saturday's run. I know that I am going out tonight with the girls and won't feel this good Saturday so I might as well get it done.

The tide is high and coming in more till 9pm so I decided to take the paved beach path. My runpod says halfway but I don't feel like turning around. This is easy and feels good. I run to the end of the path then I turn around. I my runpod tells me I'm done but I want to keep running. (Why am I so stubborn?) I get to my road, jalan Benesari, and I decide to keep running to the other end of the beach. This can be Sunday's 9km long run. Then it is done and if I party too much with Sabine and then with Andrea when she comes Saturday - I won't care if I miss a measly 4km or I can add that onto another run. (I'm so smart and look how I can organize stuff in my head while running!)

The second half of the beach is a lot fancier and I smile and say good morning to the older Japanese couples. (How to you say good morning in Japanese?) I'm smiling and giving peace fingers to other runners - Isn't this fun? Don't you just love running too? What a great morning!

I was about 1/2 km away from my room. A couple walked past me with gatorade like water bottles that reminded me of my thirst. Next time I run a long one I'm bringin water! (or at least money to buy a water.) I'm looking out at the ocean anticipating my long surf session. I just have to runse off, change, drink some water, shove some fake Ritz crackers down my throat, grab my board and run back to the beach. I can't wait. Today is the surf session I have been waiting for since I got here five days ago. The moon has made the waves so small it has been almost pointless but today it looks awesome for me!

Tamara and Sybil are already out there. I saw them as I decided to run the other half. I don't think Sybil likes me, so I was in no hurry to join her. (Tamara is awesome!)

So, obviously I'm building up to something here right? I still can't believe it wve though everytime I close my eyese all I see is this moment. As I was looking out at the beach I rolled my left ankle. (Sam's tattoo ankle) I stopped. I hobbled. I cried. (Notice it wasn't the first thing I did!!!) I crouched. I yelled, "No WAY!" I touched the already swollen booty of the surfergirl. I cried. Little Indomen workedrs stared. One laughed and I yelled, "Engaak lucu! Sakit!! Aduh!!" And I cried some more. (Notice is the thing I do the most though, unfortunately!) I hobbled. People came to help me but I stubbornly kept wobbling. Then I gave in. There was no way I could have made it back. Two boys sat me down and a man went to get his truck. A white girl ran out of a restaurants to see if she could help. Oh God, why am I such a whining baby? Control yourself... you are in PUBLIC! I'm sorry for crying. I'm sorry for getting your truck all sweaty. (I was drenched after 8km)

I thanked the man who dropped me at my hotel reception. I sat on the cool tile and put my foot on a chair and they brought me ice and I tried not to cry. I calmed myself as much as I could. Swelling had reached up my leg past the surfer girl's head.

I iced. I dripped sweat and tears. I sat there for about ten munutes. I decided it was time to get back to my room to shower and get dry clothes on and lay down with my foot up and more ice. I made it to my part of the hut village and Nyoman, (Wayan's wife - Tia and Agus's mom - my friend) and grandma - saw me and I started crying again! They helped me and looked at my swollen ankle and leg.

I managed a quick one footed shower. I threw on some clothes. I put a pillow under my foot and I put a sarong and ice around my ankle and layed down trying to stay positive in my mind.

Tia and Nyoman came to check on me. Agus came and was sent to get more ice. Tia was given instructions to get me breakfast when I was ready.

I haven't mentioned this yet but I'm sure you've all done something like this before. The pain was awful. Jiggley, swelling, pulsing, blob ankle. I couldn't relax my foot. It was like I had to hold it to prevent more pain. My two little toes looked tweaked and tense from all of this work.

Tia and Agus stayed and played with me till I had breakfast. Then I was able to work the foot and pillow so I could lay on my side. Tia closed my door and I napped.

If kid power could heal I'd be walking now! (I am feeling a lot better than yesterday.) Tia, Agus, Nadika, and Iluh all hung aound me. (Sometimes knocking my foot!!) They wrote English in my notebook, played games on my Nokia, played with the origami box - it's magic you know- making my coins disapper and reappear. They brought me more ice and laughed when it turned to water and it looked like the bag was peeing. They went outside and took pictures and came back laughing and showing me. They love to take pictures of dirty dog parts.

It was quiet time for me again. Tia cloesed my door and I tried to sleep but I couldn't. I was sweaty and throbbing. I read more of Eat, Pray, Love and I wished I had a Balinese medicine man. I wished Patrick and I were still talking and I had his number so he could come and save me - take me to the doctors. I text the one number I have here, Sabine but she must be at the beach.

It's around 3:30. I'm still in mega pain (why didn't I pack ADVIL?) I need to go the the doctor. I hope out of bed and crawl onto my porch. Grandma comes to see me. She says I need Balinese massage not doctor. Tia has been telling this all morning. At this point I don't care where I go - just somebody please fix me and stop this pain!

Just the day before Wayan was telling me about his hamstring injury and I was telling him about the amazing magic of ice. Little did I know I would be heading my own advice hours later.

Nyoman brought the motorbike to my stair and I "hopped" on. Every bump jiggled my swelling. I know she was driving careful but Bali roads have never been known for their smoothness.

I hop off and meet.. her dad? He is a Balinese massage (medicine man?) He puts oil on his fingers and I try to relax as he rubs and pushes into my swollen surfergirl. I'm sometimes yelping. He looks at me like - I'm a wimp - or something.. and I am! Nyoman tells me to lie on my stomach like I'm sleeping. I can't see what he's doing now. He gives my cankle a good snapping yank and I yelp out and start... laughing because I don't want to cry. I turn around and they are all laughing at me. (Even the sellers on the street point and laugh as we emerege later on the motorbike.) He then takes a bottle full of some clear liquid (arak - rice wine) sand, shells and other gunk and rubs it over my leg. I make an offering (100 000Rp - $10) and thank him (Terima Kasih) Nyoman stops at the Apotik and gets me medicine. I also ask for Caillou (crutches in Indo) or Tungked (Balinese) but she laughs - not here!

She got me medicine: Methylprednisolone and Sodium Diclofenac. Which I take one of each three times a day. I don't know what it is and I don't care as long as it helps. I decide in my mind that I don't really have an allergy to penicillin just in case it's in there. (So far I am still alive!!)

She drops me at our restaurant and I eat and take medicine. Grandma is happy I have seen the Balinese massage. Tia comes and sits with me. Nyoman snacks at the cashier chill spot by the T.V. Tia gets some Smarties from her mom. (I gave mom all the chocolates so she could hand them out when they were allowed to have them and so she could keep them in the fridge so they wouldn't melt.)

Nyoman gets one of the kitchen boys to take me back to the my room on motorbike.

This whole time I'm determined to stay positivie and strong. I think of things like:
- Everything happens for a reason
- Maybe I would have gotten more hurt surfing or done something stupid partying with Sabine.
- Maybe I was supposed to mee Nyoman's dad?
-Maybe I was doing too much and my body wanted to not walk for a bit?
-Maybe I might learn something sitting still?
-Maybe I'll end up helping grandma fold grass?
-Maybe I shouldn't have said before I left - I wish I had more time to read Surfing the Manual before I started surfing.
-Will I be able to go to Sumbawa (8days) with Andrea and Dewa still?
-Why now when I have a broken heart and the only way I know how to fix those damn things is by running. dancing, surfing...moving???
-Maybe I will be out of commission for three weeks - max - I will still have one month of August to surf.
-At least I don't have to teach dance and it will be better by September.
-At least the marathon is still 3.5 months away.

There is one thing that I left out that you can use your imagine... if you want... SQUAT TOILET one step up from ground level. HMMMM..

To be continued...
You can't bring me down!


Popular posts from this blog


California Road Trip Planning

*All plans are tentative and open to spur of the moment changes*  Day 1: Saturday, June 30Vancouver to Artic Park - 4 Hours, 37 Minutes
Artic Park - not reserved yet: - e-mailed for reservation Friday, June 22 - I wrote them again today, Tuesday, June 26th - if they don't respond we will take our chances and find something on the way. 
$10-$18 Pub for dinner
This one is now booked! They don't take cards so bring cash - $14. 
Day 2: Sunday, July 1 Artic Park - Cannon Beach - 2 Hours
We can stop in Seaside and get some salt water taffy and swing on the swings on the beach.
Wright's for Camping - $32, $3/additional person - We could share a campsite here with Carrie.
Seems expensive - but they are the same price in this town
-not reserved yet: wrights@seasurf.netI e-mailed to check for reservation Friday, June 22 (two vehicles, 1 tent) 
They returned e-mail saying they have a space. So.. are we reserved? I wrote back a…

Lame-cation goes south and then... back north :-(

I have things to write... after I get school stuff ready. Enjoy the photos and video.