Skip to main content

California Dreaming: Venice Beach Extended Family Edition


Saturday, Jonny, the boy, and I went to Zuma beach. The boy napped for most of it and Jonny took pics while I surfed. I didn't surf the same spot Annina and I had surfed because there was some sort of run, bike race thing going on and that parking lot was occupied. We did pay the $10 weekend fee to park because we wanted the boy to be sleeping in the car close to the beach... not on the side of the highway where it is free. I missed my surfing partner Annina. 

Zuma Beach






















Packing up the car where my boys are waiting! 


Saturday afternoon Allison, Jason, and Marcus came to hang out with us. We had gone to the skate park and took videos of Marcus skating. He broke his board almost as soon as we got there. 

Marcus skating down Venice beach strip. 


Marcus and Allison

We went back to the homestead and the boys went up to Whole Foods and got some food to make for dinner. Marcus marinated the meat, I mashed the potatoes, Allison babysat, and Jason and Jonny manned the BBQ. Marcus and Jason had a hot tub and we all chilled on the patio of 359 Rose. After a filling meal we went back to the skate park and Marcus skated his new Baker board. (Insert another video) And then, just to top the day off we got some frozen yogurt at the place where you get to make it all yourself and add all the delicious toppings you want. mmmm.. I just made myself want it now! 
Skate backpack


Babysitting cousin! 
Eating mashed potatoes! 


Jason, Allison, and Marcus chilling on the patio. 
Cruiser bikes
Marcus at the skate park. 












Sunday there wasn't much surf so we just chilled as a family. We decided that we wanted more family chill time and that we liked it here. We e-mailed the owner to see if our little bungalow was available but it wasn't. He could, however, move us to his other one bedroom for one night and then his two bedroom till Friday morning. He gave us this for all the same price and no extra cleaning fee. Cool! We are in. However, moving from one place - leaving at 10am and not being able to get into the next place until 3pm left us with some nap times to cover. Car seat.. and driving was our plan. 



Venice Beach pier










The breakfast spot - The Candle Cafe




One foot up and hard chilling! 

Baby Jonny

Banana cookie 
We hit Red Lobster one day... Outback was closed. Jonny feels he may never get to eat at an Outback. The next day we decided to drive to Huntington Beach. I got to try the surf - it was small and crowded. We looked for Ed Templeton. Huntington Beach is basically a shopping mall and a pier. I scored some $20 Reynolds' Emericas. How can you say no to a $20 skate shoe? (Especially since my feet grew and I need new shoes!) We got some lunch and headed back to our new place and the boy had nap number two. 


$20 skate shoes?!
Yucky pollution spot. 
Huntington beach parking lot




Huntington beach pier





Electric car station in the parking lot at HB. 

Cruising the HB parking lot. 
Ed Templeton in the skate shop. 
Shower time! 
The second one bedroom we stayed in, 341 Rose, was nice but I liked 349 better. 341 had some TV and Internet issues. It was also a little more squished. It did have newer stuff - like hot tub, sinks, and well... everything... but it didn't have the lived in stuff like seasonings and Ziplocks.
Lemon tree in the yard. 


brand new cruisers at this place and a new washer and dryer. 
Cute little chill area in the front yard. 
Block off the kitchen with the playpen. 






The two bedroom we are in right now it gorgeous. The people next to us look like they live in three containers and they have wine bottle lights hanging from the trees. Anywho... this place has a front gate -wall where you enter through the Pink Panther. We have a front and back porch. We have the whole place to ourselves. The boy has a room to cry it out in and there are two bathrooms too. One of them has a new shower and sink but the other one has original stuff. The stove is really old and original. I have to get a pic of that. It has cupboards for the stove. There is no dish washer or AC in this one. It is a pretty amazing little spot. It is directly across from the skate park and surf spot on Venice beach.. just a few blocks up. I wonder how much it costs? Doesn't matter. We will probably stick to 349. It just felt more like home... but.. I think this one would be good for Allison, Jason, Marcus, and Zoe when they come next time. 
Carpet is fun to play with. 

Crate living next door. 

Bedroom one - with ensuite. 
Bedroom two without a bathroom - but it is right in the hall. 
Front patio

Kitchen and the laundry machines are inside this home. 
Back patio



Boy and his ball! (Which I think we left at the last hotel...) 
Front door from the side walk and into the front yard. 

Wine bottle lights in the neighbours tree. 




We went back to Huntington again today. Jonny has his shoe brain on and wanted to try on some different pairs. You see, the company that he likes is going out of business (Axion). He has been trying to switch to a new company (Emerica) but his feet just haven't been happy in other skate shoes. Today, I think he may have found his new shoe (Etnies). Fingers crossed... that this shoe saga is over.. and that his feet will be happy in these new shoes. We all need happy feet. 

It was super windy today and the waves were all over the place and blowing out. I went in the water even though I wasn't feeling it and didn't catch anything. Disappointing. We got some groceries on the way home and hung out at home. The boy was not particularly cooperative today. I can feel his top tooth through the skin now. 

Thursday we went back to Zuma beach to have a surf but there was not much going on in the water. We drove back and got the boy to his nap time. Jonny made us some chicken and meat skewers and corn on the cob. I was so full but Jonny insisted I have my cookie ice-cream sandwich since it was our last day and I hadn't had one yet. (I did have frozen yogurt about four times though!) I waddled back to our place and got ready to go to dance. Yup - I went to The Edge Performing Arts Centre - Hollywood Harbour and took a class. I was scared but it is new and unknown and I have heard it is really high calibre. So, I decided to take an easy class that would make me feel good about myself - the 40 + class! Hahaha... It was great. I had a blast. AND, there was a star in my class - Jenna Elfman. It was a great end to an awesome trip. 

Gotta watch some skating after a morning run. 

S for SAM

Cookie ice cream sandwich!! 
Zoltar!! Jonny has to play once a trip. 
skate cement. 

Dance outfit! 
Edge Dance Studio - Hollywood Harbour
After dance snack! 



Good bye maternity bathing suit!! You are DONE! 


Jonny wants to make tables like these on our patio. Thick wood. 
He may also want to recreate this art. 









Someone walking by left this on our ledge. 
Fancy wind things. 

SAND! 
cookie face


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California Dreaming Summer 2023

VIDEO LINK: Video PHOTO ALBUM LINK:  Photo Album

Ankle Day 13

It costs 30 000Rp for half an hour to use the computer at this hotel! I pay like 2 000 back by my old place. It bugs me that it is so expensive... but I guess I am paying for convenience. I am stuck. I can't run away and I can't do what I want when I want. I am dependent on other people and it is great that I have those people.. but I am so independent.. that it is ... sucking in my brain. Ya know? I AM the kid who will run home and go to bed when she is done. I can't do that now. I have to wait or ruin people's fun. WHA! hahaha.. I am fine. Everyday is getting better and today is off to the doctor. It will be Sam's first time meeting Dr. Brown! Today at 12 is also the last day of my antibiotics! Sam is making me ask the doctor if I can have beer... there will always be that double standard! He is taking care of his sister.. but come on.. I had a screw put in my ankle I deserve a beer!! They shoulda had a cold Bintang besar waiting for me as they woke me up from my

Everyone is sleeping!

Goodmorning! I love wifi in the hospital. Everyone is still sleeping. It is 5:43am. I am alive and Andrea is here beside me curled up so cute on two benches. She has been my "mom-friend" and my ears throughout this whole ordeal. As she said, the waves were not good anyways. Ya right! Dewa was out for five hours yesterday. Thanks again Andrea. Ok! So wanna hear the coolest news of all??? Beside my new bionic ankle and using an Indo bedpan? Sam is coming to help me here and take me home!!!! I'm so excited. It is so weird. The night I found out about the break I had a dream and sam was in it. He was laughing a me, eating all the ice cream, drinking tequila, and eating magic mushrooms. I woke up and he had texted that he is coming. And then mom texted that it was true!! I cant wait for him to meet my friends. Yay! I'm sorry his pool shed won't be getting built but maybe I can help when I get back? After I read all that stuff about sprained ankles Andrea got my as